Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Gerald's Peace Corp 5





I lived across the river from town in a small wood framed shack.  There was a swinging suspension footbridge to cross the river (that's how I took the bottom photo). A lot of folks washed their laundry and bathed in the river.  I boiled a gallon water for an hour each evening on my 2 burner kerosene stove and let the water cool over night.  No refrigerator....not sure why I had the ketchup.  I ate a lot of bananas and egg sandwiches for breakfast and dinner.   For lunch I ate at lady's house in town and she frequently fed me cabbage soup with a beef bone.  I lost 25 lbs that year ....guess I should try that diet again.  One of my main problems was the scorpions....they seemed to like my house.  I hunted them every evening before sunset....I became a skilled scorpion killer. 😁

No comments:

Post a Comment